Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A blustery day...

My flat is in a very short building, only three floors, and is surrounded by forty, fifty and sixty floor buildings. My bedroom/lounge room faces the next building and the driveway between can safely be called a wind tunnel. Right now, I'm guessing the wind is hitting about 100km/h. Has been all day. No sign of Pooh.

The knitting week has been both uneventful and tedious. I'm still sick, now with a throat infection that requires antibiotics, and today was spent entirely in bed - I'm typing on the lap top from my bed even now. Illness has not stopped the knitting, even though it has slowed down the output.














My eldest sister is incredibly unwell, and is now subsisting on a diet of rice, milk and bananas due to stomach ulcers caused by a virus. I remember when she used to live off rice, milk and bananas in the early 80's as part of one of those weird diets, so she'll probably be fine. I've made her this bookmark to cheer her up a bit. I used "Dawn" by Naturally yarns, 50% silk and 50% wool. It just glides through your fingers. Glorious. I think I'll use some to make some socks for my mum. Or the Pomatomus socks for me. Hard choice.







I'm past the gusset decreasing on the #2 Monkey sock, and I hope to have it finished by the end of this week. Normally I'd say finished NOW! but I'm really run down, so I don't want to push it. Well, and I have about 8 projects on the needles at the moment, including two other sets of socks for Felix and also...













The massive cabled handbag! Fear not, gentle reader, for I have not forgotten it. I'm now up to row 25 of the second 32 row repeat, and apparently almost done. However... I want it to be bigger. I want something huge to hold all my stuff in, so I'll most likely do another repeat (masochist!) and then finish it up. I plan to line it so it can't bag out, but first I need more of the Batik dyelot yarn. Which is out of production in this. So, I'll just head back to ak traditions tomorrow and see if they have any left.













For anyone wondering why I have a Mystery Stole 3 button, and no signs of the stole in progress it's simply because I hadn't started it. I had the yarn - Bendigo 2ply in black - but no beads and no cash. A brief scrounge came up with some old Maria George stash and off I went. Of the two swatches above I chose the bottom swatch, which was on 3.5mm needles while the top swatch was on 3.75mm. What a huge difference 0.25mm can make! I've completed Clue 1, and managed 4 rows of Clue 2, which only puts me three weeks behind...










This is what will happen when you leave hand knit socks in front of the heater for too long when drying them.













This is what you will find when you start rummaging through your mum's old knitting patterns she's generously donated to you. Don't laugh - one of my older sisters had written a note next to it asking for it (yes, Leah, it was you).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are so sick. We've had the flu/sore throat thing for about 5 weeks now - it just goes round and round the family. I'm hoping not to have another set of antibiotics. Never thought I'd say "roll on summer" LOL. Great knitting projects - love the little bookmark and the scarf you sent your swap pal. Your gift was great too. Sorry I missed out on the scarf swap - everyone seems to have hit a winner :-)